What are the requirements to welcoming a Granny au pair in USA?

Does she need a visa? How does it work?


Swap Nature and link

The Grannies Au Pair do not enter in a working relationship or work regulation. The primary purpose of these exchanges is touristic, it relates to travelling and exploring different cultures. It is up to the host family and the granny au pair to organize all the different terms in a free way. Pocket money must be paid to the Granny au pair, you can check the amounts used in a classic au pair exchange here or visit the section "Granny au pair compensation in USA"

Your Granny Au Pair visa application

For her visa application, your Granny Au Pair makes the process. Here are the procedures she will follow.

ressortissant_europeen.jpg European citizens  

- A visa is not required to travel in USA less than 3 months. An identity card or a valid passport is good enough.
 For a stay longer than 3 months and for the others countries:

Type of visa
Visa «Non-immigrant visas» type «B2 »

Tourism or business purposes.

3 months

Renewable six months requesting an application locally


To be eligible for an B2 visa, the country needs to be a participant in the visa waiver program:

South Africa, Algeria, Andorra , Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Antilles, Argentina, Armenia , Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bermuda, Burma, Bolivia, Bosnia - Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria , Canada, Chile, Colombia, Cyprus, South Korea, Costa Rica, Côte d' Ivoire, Croatia, Denmark, Dominica, Egypt, El Salvador, United Arab Emirates, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Georgia, Greece, Grenada , Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Hong Kong ( "Certificate of Identity" and passports ), Hungary, Mauritius, India, Indonesia, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kuwait , Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Macedonia , Madagascar, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritania, Mexico, Monaco, Mongolia , Montenegro, Mozambique, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway, New Zealand , Uzbekistan , Pakistan, Palau, Panama , Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Netherlands, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Dominican Republic, Czech Republic, Romania , United Kingdom, Russia, Saint Lucia, St. Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Holy See ( Vatican City ) Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sri Lanka , Sweden, Switzerland, Suriname, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zimbabwe.

- Despite the existence of this type of visa, travelers need to obtain an electronic travel authorization: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
- Please note that all passports do not conform to criteria required by the Travel Authorization "ESTA". It must have been issued after October 26, 2005, and have an optical reader. It's a "Delphine" passport type.
To check if your passport is all right, you can visit this page: http://french.france.usembassy.gov/gallerypasseports.html

Accommodation certificate and invitation letter

Depending on your Granny au pair nationality and the duration of the stay, the immigration can ask her to provide a proof of accommodation and / or an invitation letter. You can find sample letters below.
If necessary, you simply need to complete and sign the document before returning it to your Granny au pair.

Invitation letter sample
English  Français  Deutsch Español
Accommodation certificate sample
English Français Deutsch Español

* Identical sample in every language